In this Introduction to Botany we will be studying What is Botany and branches of Botany and also Importance of Botany. Science is the systematic study, a logical approach and discovering new things and also knowing how the things or universe works. We know that science has many branches. The major branches of science include Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
We know that biology relates to studying life forms or living things around us. As we know ‘Bio’ means ‘life’ and ‘logy’ refers to ‘study’. This biological system consists of millions of life forms. The biological system consists of animals, plants, microorganisms. Biology also contains many branches depending on the specializations like Botany, Zoology, Microbiology and so on. In this article, we are going to study the Introduction to Botany – Scope, Branches and also Importance.
Introduction to Botany – What is Botany?
We already know that Biology consists of three major branches Botany, Zoology and Chemistry. This classification is based on the charectersitcs and life forms. In this introduction to Botany we can define Botany as follows. The sytematic branch of Biology which deals with the plant study or study of plants. In life science botany plays a major role. If we look at the origin of word Botany it is derived from the Greek word ‘Botane‘ (means ‘grass’ in Greek). The person who studies ‘Botany’ is known as ‘Botanist’.
Botany is one of the oldest known branch of Biology. The plant study known even during the times of first evolved man. As the day passed on man with his logical thinking and approching started to explore more about the plants. In the olden days ‘Ayurveda’ which is traditional medicine in India is obtained from the plants. Now a days Botany branch developing in rapid. As it consits now consists of several sub disciplines. Botany has its impact on several other branches of biology as well as science. The science of medicine majorly depends on the Botany.
For the survival of man and various other life forms the plants plays major role. As they are the primary producers on earth. The food chain starts from the plants only. The plants have ability of producing their own food by photosythesis. It became one of the reason why humans interested in plant science. Botany also known as Plant Science but Botany is term used to define it.
Let’s get into history of Botany. As we are familiar with Aristotle as the ‘Father of Biology‘ similarly the ‘Father of Botany‘ is Theophrastus. Theophrastus was the early Botanist and has done mjor writings on plant science. He also classified plants depending on the size, growth pattern and geopgraphical areas and published in on of his books “Enquiry into Plants”. Like wise ‘William Roxburgh‘ a Scottist surgeon and a botanist who worked majorly on the economic botany of India known as the ‘Father of Indian Botany‘.
Study of Botany includes various different kinds of organisms which may be prokaryotic or eukaryotic organisms. Prokaryotics consists of Bacteria and Viruses. The Eukaryotic group consits of ‘Algae’, ‘Fungi’, ‘Bryophytes’, ‘Pteridophytes’, ‘Gymnosperms’ and ‘Angiosperms’. All of these groups are classified based on the different charecterstics.
Scope of Botany
In this introduction of Botany let’s now look at the scope of Botany. In Botany the Plant are studied in various perspectives and approches. Today Botany has wide range of opportunities and scope in the field of Medicine Industry, Chemical industry, Food industry, National Parks and also in Plant Health Nurseries. There are various researches going on in the field of Science. And Botany become one of the life saving branch of todays’ world.
Careers in Botany
The students who have taken Botany as their choice in their B.Sc. or M.Sc. course have wide varieties of choices and options in front of them. They should utilise them correctly. There are so many options in Botany careers. Some of them are listed below.
- Educational institutions
- Private or Public sector companies
- Agriculture or Forestry
- Biotechnology labs
- Drugs Production Companies
- Genetics Research Labs
- Food industries etc.
Branches of Botany
In this introduction to Botany let’s look at the branches of Botany. We know that science has various branches and in that biology alsohas sub desciplinaries and now the Botany as branch of biology also has sub desciplinaries. Let’s look at the some of the Branches of Botany.
|Embryology||The study of development of male and female gametophytes, formation of gametes, process of fertilization, development of embryo, endosperm and seed.|
|Palynology||It is the study of the development, structure, and all other aspects related to microspores or pollen grains is called Palynology.|
|Agricultural Science||The study of those plants that are of economically importance and their production.|
|Bryology||The study of Bryophytes such as mosses, liverworts and hornworts.|
|Economic Botany||Study of the economic uses of plants and plant products.|
|Dendrology||Study of woody plants such as shrubs and trees.|
|Horticulture||Study of Cultivation of plants.|
|Ethnobotany||Study of plants and their relationship with humans.|
|Orchidology||Study of orchids.|
|Paleobotany||Study of plant fossils.|
|Plant Cell Biology||Study of plant cells and their functions.|
|Plant Taxonomy||Study of classification and naming of plants.|
|Pomology||study of fruits and nuts.|
|Pharmacognosy||Study of medicinal plants, their medicinal uses and properties.|
|Phycology||Study of all aspects related to algae|
Importance of Botany
We are aware that plants plays vital role in the life of any living organism. Every living organisms depend on plants everyday and for everthing. And the botany as branch of biology has lead the plant science as major importance. And now it is important to know about the what is the Importance of Botany.
- Botany is study of plants and plants are the major source food what we eat daily. And the study of Botany helps us to distinguish between the choice of plant for consumption of food. And now there are various researches going on to produce varities of vegetable and fruits in various labs to meet the growing population.
- The science of molecular biology, genetics along with the Botany has made it possible to produce disease resistant crops, insect resistant plants and also genetically modified plants.
- With the study of Botany we can check out the economic value of productivity of an area. With which farmers can get ideal techniques to grow and increase crop yeilds.
- Botany also plays major role in the protection of environment. As of now the natural resource majorly forests are getting destroyed due to encroachment of man. Botany study has lead us to get aware of the Plant resources and to protect the environment.
- Botany has now as major science descipline has aquired its importance in the fields of medicine, cosmotics and food industries.
- Some of the drugs produced from the plant sources are helpful in curing many diseases and play as major role as life saver drugs.
- The study of plant pathology has helped to produce disease resitant varieties of plants.
- With the study of plant taxonomy in Botany one can have the knowledge of plants and their characters and origin and also their geographical areas.
- Now a days the tissue cultute applications in botany has lead us to produce the plants in very short area or even without soil like hydroponics. And made it as simple as anyone can grow crops even without having a land to grow with simple techniques.
- The technique of storage of plant seeds, spcimens and plant tissues has made it possible to have the plant material alive even after many generations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Botany?
Botany is the branch of biology dealing with plant anatomy (structure) and plant physiology (functions) including environmental factors that affect their growth and development.
What is the scope of Botany?
Today Botany has wide range of opportunities and scope in the field of Medicine Industry, Chemical industry, Food industry, National Parks and also in Plant Health Nurseries. There are various researches going on in the field of Science. And Botany become one of the life saving branch of todays’ world.
What are branches of Botany?
Some of the Branches of Botany are as follows: Embryology, Palynology, Agricultural Science Bryology, Economic Botany, Dendrology, Horticulture, Ethnobotany, Orchidology, Paleobotany, Plant Cell Biology, Plant Taxonomy, Pomology, Pharmacognosy, Phycology,
What is the Importance of Botany?
Botany has now as major science descipline has aquired its importance in the fields of medicine, cosmotics and food industries.Some of the drugs produced from the plant sources are helpful in curing many diseases and play as major role as life saver drugs.The study of plant pathology has helped to produce disease resitant varieties of plants.With the study of plant taxonomy in Botany one can have the knowledge of plants and their characters and origin and also their geographical areas.